My Photo
Name:
Location: India

Free Spirit; www.1stindian7summits.com

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

7 SUMMITS PROGRESS

Travel Arrangements:

I tried hard with Thomas cook to get my air ticket for Argentina. I was delayed for a complete 45 days promising all the time to give a best fare. Finally I thought of doing it on my own and approached “Globe travels”, Travel service and “tashi travels” all travel companies in Calcutta. Nobody seemed aware of these places and I ended up educating them about different routes of flying and visa requirements for those countries. Finally I was able to purchase my tickets from “Coromandel Travels”. I felt relived that I had finished one task of my preparation. I bought tickets by Dec 18.

I was co-ordinating my US friends (Subbu, Nishant, Khericha, Souvik, Badri, Partha and others) for purchasing my mountaineering equipment.That’s one hell of an adventure, which I would request the US team write down!I received equipment sent by prasad VTSV fro B’lore as my Christmas gift.
I was at IIM C and was thrilled at my tent, sleeping bag and Himalayan suit. They were the best equipment. I tested the tent pitching it in the IIM C garden. I was excited and happy.


VISAS

I left Delhi on 26th to arrange for my Visas. I planned to make 3 summit attempts, Kilimanjaro, Aconcagua and Kosciuszko. I need to get Tanzania, Argentina and Australia visas. I met CK Mohan my RIT batch mate in Delhi on 27th, Monday.
Dec 27(Mon): Went to supriya Vihar for argentina Embassey and learnt that it shifted to Ananda Niketan. Then we went to Basant Vihar for Tanzania embassy. Their working hours were 10-12AM. We were late. We learnt the visa reuirements.

Dec28(Tue): Submitted docs for Tanzania embassy. Before that we went oto Argentina embassy. I was disappointed at the very unfriendly nature of the attendant. My instincts told me that it will not be easy.

Dec29(wed): Received Tanzania visa, I was very happy. CK and I celebrated with a Nescafe coffee.
CK and I went to Connaught place. He went on a shopping spree. Then I bade adieu to him for he was leaving for Rajasthan.

Dec30(Thu):
I submitted my docs at Argentina Embassy. I was asked to collect on Jan5. Long wait and could not d any thing.
Peeyush Bajpai, contacted me and I shifted to his flat in Malviya Nagar. We met for the first time after RIT. He was in recognizable shape and enjoyed his hospitality both at work and home. He was very helpful.

Dec 31(Fri):
Went to Peeyush’s office. I was greeted with a very affectionate reception.
Jan1 (sat):
I was with Peeyush. Enjoying his company.
Jan2: Sun day
Jan3: Monday
Jan4: Went to Argentina Embassy and gave the covering letter. Not so happy.
Jan5(Wed): got the Argentina Visa stamping. I was given transit visa. He didn’t even tell me that I was given a transit visa. What a frustrating feeling. I have 15days to climb this 7000m peak.
First Indian Solo Aconcagua attempt!! I am feeling every kind of hurdle possible on my solo journey. It’s truly solo. I had booked my airtickets. I got my visa personally. Now I made my climbing plan and going there.I had received help from RIT friends. Incredible selfless act indeed!!

Jan5(wed): I went to Austalia TT Services help office in Jhandewala extn. I was told that Australia visa takes 6-7 days for stamping. I didn’t had those many working days before my travel to Mumbai and Kilimanjaro from there.
So forced to postpone this for Feb.
The Argentina visa stamping had lot of impact on my travel and climbing plans which I had to replan and make changes accordingly.

It’s hell a lot of an adventure!! The stories of mountaineers inspired me to not to lose heart and focus on what my goal is!

Jan 6(thur):
Received the mountaineering gear from Prasad. This is the 2nd set of equipment sent by my US RIT friends. I felt very grateful for them. I was excited at seeing the equipment and was very happy to test most of the stuff.
Peeyush and Indicus staff were equally excited at this stuff.

Jan 7(fri): I slept on terrace in tent. My days of testing the equipment have started.
Jan8(sat): Peeyush had ordered for a print on my tent.
Jan9(sun): We ordered for RIT Gutchians flag. Non my batchmates were keen on taking flags.
Jan10(Mon): I have decided to carry the Indian flag and This is my purely my personal interest. I bought US dollars for 44.40Rs. I underwent some survey before settling at this price. It was a little learning and adventure.

Jan11(Tue): I am done with most of the preps.
Jan12(wed): Not much, packed my rucksack. It’s huge. Prioritized the tiems to accommodate the space.
Will board Rajdhani at 4:55PM for Mumbai.

Subbu, Nishant, khericha please write the equipment purchase and export story!!

.... A story of friendship, Adventure and a dream!







1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Work Babu !

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home